If you’ve recently been fitted with braces, you may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of how to adjust to them. After all, braces can be uncomfortable and take some getting used to. But don’t worry! Adjusting to braces isn’t as difficult as it may seem. Here are some tips and tricks to help make your transition to braces as smooth as possible.
1. Give yourself time to adjust. It’s normal to feel uncomfortable when you first get your braces. Give yourself time to adjust to the feeling of the braces on your teeth and the new sensation when you talk, eat, and smile. The more you wear your braces, the more comfortable they will become.
2. Change your brushing and flossing routine. Braces require extra care when it comes to brushing and flossing your teeth. Make sure you are brushing and flossing thoroughly after every meal and snack to remove any food particles that may have gotten stuck in or around your braces. You may also want to invest in a water flosser to help make the process easier.
3. Avoid hard and sticky foods. Hard and sticky foods such as nuts, popcorn, and caramel can damage your braces and cause unnecessary pain. To avoid this, stick to softer foods such as pasta, yogurt, and mashed potatoes.
4. Use braces wax. Braces wax can help reduce the discomfort associated with braces. It is a soft wax that can be applied to the brackets and wires to reduce the friction and irritation that can occur.
5. Stay on top of your orthodontic appointments. It’s important to keep up with your orthodontic appointments to ensure that your braces are properly adjusted and that you are on track with your treatment plan. Your orthodontist will be able to identify any issues that may arise and provide solutions to help make your experience with braces better.
Adjusting to braces may seem daunting, but with a few simple tips and tricks, you can make the process easier. Remember to give yourself time to adjust, change your brushing and flossing routine, avoid hard and sticky foods, use braces wax, and stay on top of your orthodontic appointments. With these tips, you can make your transition to braces as smooth as possible.
If you have been experiencing issues with adjusting to your braces, please do not hesitate to contact our orthodontic office to learn how we can help.